Ed Taekema - Road Warrior Collaboration 10.12.2003

December 2003
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 91011121314

A blog looking at business communication, knowledge management, scripting tools, OS technology news and other things of interest to mobile tech workers. As I find interesting news this will also contain pointers to thoughts related to configuration managment, change management and general software development.

XML-Image Syndication

XML-Image Comment Feed

Letterimage Contact me


Slow TWiki Performance on RH 8.0 - Caused by SessionPlugin - And Wrong Time on Client

I've run into a snag using TWiki for an intranet site. We're using a stock install of the latest stable TWiki code on a RedHat 8.0 server. It seems to suffer from intermittant performance problems. Page views are snappy but page saves and attachment uploads can sometimes take 10 minutes to complete ... if they ever complete, even for pages that are trivially small.

Attachment performance seems to be completely unrelated to attachment size or type. So far, I have found some pointers: SaveForever and UsingPerl58OnRedHat8. I am running this on a RedHat 8 server which has apparently caused this behaviour before. The fustrating thing is that there apparently aren't any solutions to the behaviour.

I'll post more on this as I work through the issue. Please point me to any information that I may have missed.


Problem solved!! I ran an Ethereal network capture and noticed that I was getting a 401 Authentication Required error. So, on a whim I disabled the SessionPlugin.pm and voila ... no more weird delays. Further network captures showed the error message was gone as well.


Also discovered that if the client PC had its time set so that it was behind the server ... that attachments and edits might never complete ... Fixing the time to match made things work again ... Very strange.

posted at 02:29:04    #
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.